Your 3-Step Guide to the Most Flavorful, Rejuvenating H2O… Ever!
It’s no secret that H2O is the healthiest beverage choice, but drinking water can become a monotonous task making those sugary juices, sweetened teas, and soda all the more compelling. Infusing water with fresh fruit and herbs is a great way to add variety and nutrients to your daily fluid intake without flooding your diet with the extra empty calories found in sugary drinks.
Follow this 3-step foolproof guide to transform your water into the most flavorful and rejuvenating drink of your day.
1) Pick your fruity flavor.
Any fruit will work except banana or avocado. Of course, the fresher the tastier!
Consider this fruitspiration:
- Berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, boysenberries, cranberries, etc.)
- Citrus (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, etc.)
- Melons (watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, etc.)
You can mix as many different fruits as you’d like – the more the berrier! Or, skip the fuss with a fusion as simple as a combo of orange and mint.
Your fruity add-ins should total about 1 cup of fruit per 8 oz. of H2O.
2) Choose an herb.
Mint, basil, and cilantro are my favorite herbal additions. Sometimes, I opt for rosemary or lavender. As with the fruit, you’ll get the best result with a fresh herb. Unlike with the fruit, you’ll probably want to pick just one herb per fusion. You’ll need about 1/8 cup of fresh herbs per 8 oz. of water.
Slice fruit and tear herbs for a subtle infusion or muddle the fruit and herbs together to add more concentrated flavor.
3) Last, add water and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. The water will become more flavorful as time passes.
Try this simple piña colada inspired recipe, which includes a splash of unsweetened coconut water for an extra nutritional boost!
Pineapple Citrus Cilantro Infused Water
Ingredients & Method
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh orange, sliced
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro
- A splash of unsweetened coconut water
- 8 oz. water
1) Muddle fresh pineapple cubes, orange slices, and cilantro until fragrant.
2) Add the H2O and splash of coconut water.
3) Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. Add ice and serve.