Smokey Tuna Tartare
Tuna tartare has made an appearance on almost half the restaurant menus I’ve seen and I’ve tried almost every version. The mild flavor of the tuna is like a blank canvas for any flavor profile and lends room for creativity.
This rendition combines distinct ingredients for a light, satisfying and texturally balanced meal. Take the time to gather the ingredients. It’s little work for a lot of flavor!
Ingredients & Method (yields 4-6 servings)
For avocado mousse:
- 4 avocados
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- Juice of 6-8 limes
- 1 tablespoon yuzu, if available
- salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until very smooth. You’re done!
- 1 1b sushi grade tuna
- 1 bunch scallion, hard roasted or chard and chopped
- ½ cucumber, small dice
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 orange and it’s juice, supremed and cut in small pieces
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ teaspoon mild smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Pinch of ancho chile flake
- ½ tablespoon sambal olek or sriracha
- ½ tablespoon yuzu or juice of two limes
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients except radishes. Adjust seasoning to taste if necessary. Serve with avocado mousse and baked cumin or chickpea crisps and top with radish slices. Enjoy!